Sunday, September 5, 2010

13.1

It all started in May, while watching The Biggest Loser. I decided I needed something more to motivate me and to help me get back in shape! I decided that I wanted to run a half marathon this year. Running is one of my weak spots, and I figured training for the race would force me to make it a strong point. Lindsay offered to help me train and come up from Vegas and run it with me! I'm so glad she did! We had to wake up around 4:30am on Saturday to get up to the U to catch our bus to the starting line! I don't know how motivated I would have been to do that alone! She's my hero!

The first 4 miles were the steepest hills I've ever seen (Little Mountain in SLC). It was a killer! But the rest of the race was downhill- down Emigration Canyon, which was much better :) Miles 5-9 or 10 felt really good and I was running at a faster pace than my usual, even though I still took a few walking breaks :) But the last 2 miles were so so hard! My body started feeling like it couldn't go any further. When I had only .4 miles left, my legs were screaming at me- and I really felt like I couldn't go another step! The Linz pointed out to me that we couldsee the finish line and it was so close! So I kept running- and a few seconds later I saw my cute dad on the sidelines. Oh that made me so happy and I knew I could do it!! And then he motioned to people sitting over in the shade, and just then my girls came running out. It was so sweet! And I hurt SO much! But Ashley and Gracie came and ran with us across the finish line. And it was so cute and fun to have them with me!


When we were done, Ashley said, "Phew I'm tired from all that running!" Haha


We didn't have a lot of water stops on the course, so drinking up this super cold water at the finish line felt so good!



Me and Linz at the finish line. Thanks for the support! I loved
running that 13.1 miles with you, Linz!

I've never been more sore in my life! And I limp around like I'm handicapped- but it was a good experience- from May til now! I guess you really can acheive anything you put your mind to! :)

5 comments:

Cher said...

jeez. you're making me look bad. :) that's awesome. not sure if i will EVER be that motivated.

Cormorant said...

CONGRATS Chel! That is not an easy thing to accomplish--great job! I ran a half after I had Ava and I about quit at mile 10. I loved the first part, but it's those last few miles that kill you! I think I was limping around for a week after running. Great job!

jenbwaite said...

WOW. That is so impressive. I can't even run a mile. Should I admit that? Great job, way to have so much motivation!

Heather said...

Right on!! Amazing is what you are!

Natalie said...

Good for you! Congrats on running the race and surviving!